several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 03:33:25 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> There is only one file. There are just 3 file names pointing to it.
>>> Even though the file is in 3 different directories, there is no
>>> master file. They all access the same location on the hard drive, so
>>> changing one has the effect of changing 3 files. But deleting one
>>> file name does not delete the file. It is there until all the file
>>> names pointing to it are deleted. You can see how many file names
>>> are linked to a file by running "ls -l <file name>".
>>>
>>> [mikkel at toshiba devices]$ ls -l ifcfg-eth0
>>> -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 128 May 15 17:35 ifcfg-eth0
>>>
>>> The 3 in this case means that there are 3 file names pointing to the
>>> same file. If you want to know how to create files like this, look
>>> at the ln command.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>> Ok, I'll take your word for the edit 1 edit all, but why did I have to
>> edit all 3 copies before a change in the MAC address was effected?
>>
> How did you edit the files? Most text editors are aware of hard
> linked files, and modify the original file, so it does not matter
> what file you edit. I am not sure about word processors, as I do not
> use them to edit config files.

One word, vim.  All the rest are eye candy, and I'm mentally diabetic in
addition to type 2, and having trouble with it the last week or so.  I
haven't seen a sugar reading under 122 in about that long, including at
the end of about 36 hours with no real food, or sweetened drink yesterday.

> To see how it works, try this:
>
> touch test1.txt
> ln test1.txt test2.txt
> echo This is test1. > test1.txt
> cat test2.txt

Been there, done that on other os's.

> Now try running an editor like KWrite, vi, Joe, or mcedit on one of
> the files. Changes you make in one will show up in the other. (There
> are more editors you could use, I just listed a few...)
>
> You may want run ls -l on one of the ifcfg-eth0 files, and see if
> there are still 3 links. If not, it may break some utilities.

There are 3 yet.
[root at diablo ~]# ls -l `locate ifcfg-wlan0`
-rw-r--r-- 3 root root 303 May 22 21:34
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
-rw-r--r-- 3 root root 303 May 22 21:34
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-wlan0
-rw-r--r-- 3 root root 303 May 22 21:34
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

And I STILL fail to see the point of all this, rather like we have a
committee working on that one script and its support. :-)

> Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel.

--
Cheers, Gene