weird sound problem fc5

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 03:59:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 18:38 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Richard Bankhead writes:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am running FC5 on a HP nx9420. The FC5 correctly detects the sound
> > card as an Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) sound card.
> >
> > Here is my problem...if I plug in headphones, I can hear the sound great
> > (through the headphones).  However, I can't seem to get it to play out
> > of the computer speakers.  I have tinkered with the alsa mixer and muted
> > the headphones too, that makes no difference.  Additionally, in gnome,
> > the volume control is tied directly to the headphone control only.

If the headphones are plugged in, the circuit to the usual speakers
would be held 'open' by the headphone stereo jack and nothing will get
around that, --if-- it's hardware. If you plug the headphones in and had
the speakers working too, then the load would be what? 4 ohms? instead
of 8? One of the hams can do the math for ya, but it wouldn't be good to
do that to the amp, as I seem to dimly recall from electronics 101 taken
35 years ago. DC parallel circuit. E= I times R, so reducing the
resistance increases the amperage proportionately. Little teeny tiny
transistor possibly goes <poof!> after it has time to warm up enough. Am
I right so far?  Some one with some brains left over, please pass them
to me. <g> Ric