LDAP Users unable to change passwords[Scanned]

Chris Bradford chrisbradford at cambridge-news.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 10:32:57 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> Chris Bradford schreef:
>> I'm using LDAP to authenticate to Active Directory.
>>
>> Logins work fine, but I've noticed that none of our users can change
>> their passwords from the Linux boxes, but they can from windows.
>>
>> I'm assuming this is due to an LDAP mapping, but I am unsure as to
>> which one.
>>
>> I get asked for my kerberos password, then my LDAP password, then for
>> a new UNIX password. I then get the error:
>>
>> The password you typed is invalid.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Chris Bradford
>>

>> This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl
>> - www.blackspider.com
>>
> Maybe you set some password requirements, which dont match, on the
> Active Directory box... just a wild gues.
>
> Mike

There are requirements, but as I set them I know I have met them!

I am beginning to wonder if this is a LDAP > Active Directory
permissions error, if so, maybe it is better this way as users seem not
to have write access to AD, probably because a root Bind name has not
been configured in openldap. I don't suppose there is a way to encrypt
the root password in ldap.conf?

-Chris