FC and Spam

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 28 11:00:34 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> Maybe because not every FC system has a mail-server installed.... cause
> what is the point of a spam filter when there is no mail-server setup on
> the system.
> BUT, when you do include a mail-server with the install it would be
> great to have a default spam filter indeed.

The trouble with spam filters is that none of them are 100% effective.
They are prone to both false positives and false negatives. Different
people have widely different tolerances for both false positives and
false negatives. I don't think there's any way of setting up a default
spam filtering system that the majority of users would be happy with
(particularly bearing in mind that systems can have multiple users with
different opinions). So it's best to leave it to the users to configure
it for themselves.

What would be nice though, might be a good set of HOWTOs for various
options.

Paul.