DVD burning -- correct syntax?

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Wed Jun 28 11:01:47 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I need help with the command for burning DVDs on Fedora Core. After
struggling for a while, I now have 3 lovely coasters and I am down to my
last 3 DVD discs, so I am hoping to get this right within 3 tries.

First, a little background: I'm trying to transfer the data contents
(not movies or music) of 2 directories, containing rsync'ed extras and
updates for FC5 to DVD so I can bring it to Hong Kong to prepare a
server there.

Here's what I did:

1. First, I made an ISO file:
$ mkisofs -v -l -r -max-iso9660-filenames -no-bak -o
updates.iso /tmp/x86_64

2. Next, I mount it loopback and check, and the filenames look OK to
me.

$ sudo mount -o loop updates.iso /mnt/tempimage

3. Then I burn to DVD with this command:

$ sudo growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=updates.iso

Here's the problem: when I read the resulting DVD in Windows, I get all
the filenames in uppercase, and some are conflated. When I read the DVD
in Linux, it looks right too, but when I try to copy the files to the
hard disk, I get "Input/output errors" for some files. I suspect it
could be because the filenames are too long.

So here's my question: could somebody give me the correct syntax for
burning the files to DVD using growisofs?

I would prefer not to use the graphical tools, because I will need to
use the same command for backup to DVDs in future.

Thanks in advance !

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur