Threading ??? Shell Scripts

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Wed Jun 28 13:47:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:57:23AM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Is there any way to sort of make a shell script threaded???
>
> Something like... <snip>

Hmm...not _really_ threaded--e.g., separate threads of execution in
the same memory space.  But you can use mechanisms such as named pipes
ore even regular files and file descriptors for synchronization and
data sharing.

Both Perl and Tcl has provisions for real threading (although I, personally,
don't like threads; too few developers are meticulous enough in handling
such code to assure prevention of data corruption.  But I digress.)
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com