Creating bootable zip disk

Gordon R. Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed Jun 28 15:22:07 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> As someone else pointed out, there is an image on the install CD/DVD
> that is designed for pen drives, but should work just fine on a ZIP
> disk. The main difference from the normal ZIP disk format is that
> partition 1 is used instead of partition 4. (I have no idea why
> Iomega  used partition 4 instead of partition 1.)
>
> Just as a side note - the original Iomega Linux tools used partition
> 1 if the disk was ext2 formatted, and partition 4 if it was FAT
> formatted. I guess this was to keep the DOS/Windows tools from
> trying to read them.
>
> Mikkel

    Back when I installed my first Zip-100 drive, I was told the
Iomega's choice of partition 4 resulted from their need to sell disks
that could be formatted for DOS/Windows or Mac.  Since I have never
owned a Mac, I can't say from experience, but I could buy disks
preformatted for Mac/OS  cheaper than FAT disks, so I did, and
reformatted them as needed.  Sometimes I repartitioned them and
sometimes not, depending on how much time I had and what kind of mood I
was in, but they worked about the same either way.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn