Unprintable (locked?) PDF

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 28 17:42:19 UTC 2006

Would someone who knows please enlighten me as to why it is
one could not modify an open-source program which can view
PDF files  which are "encrypted" and which are marked as not
printable to ignore the "no print" specification? Specifically,
is the GNOME PDF viewer open source? If so, then what prevents
one from modifying it to ignore the "no print" lock? If a
specific license is required for opening/using PDF files, then
how can there be open source programs which can read it?

If the GNOME PDF viewer is not open source, then how is it
distributed all over the Linux world? I understand that PDF
is an open standard, but the Wikipedia also says it is
proprietary. How can an open standard be proprietary?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.