FC5. Problem activating eth1 instead of eth0.

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:20:52 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Nat Gross wrote:
>
> > On 6/28/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Just curious:  Have you installed the initscripts RPM from updates-testing
> >> as I suggested in another thread?
> > I have not (yet) for three reasons.
> > 1. I hesitate to use something from 'testing' repos. (Waiting on more
> > feedback.)
>
> I and a few other people I know have been using it for three months with
> no apparent ill effects.  The only changelog entry since the original FC5
> initscripts is:
>
>      * Fri Mar 17 2006 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> 8.31.2-1
>      - add udev helper to rename network devices on device creation
>
> Frankly, it is beyond me why this fix continues to languish in
> updates-testing.
Let me quote Bill N, on that page:
" Since this is adding new code to the boot path, it could use
a good deal of testing; it will be pushed final once I'm
comfortable that there are no regressions."

> > 2. Since for the most part that station's link to the lan/wan is not
> > working, I need to manually copy the rpm (via cd-rw), then I might run
> > into a situation where dependant rpm's are required. Without yum on
> > the wan.....
>
> That's a risk, but I think all the dependencies are now in updates anyway.
> If not, then the update won't install and you may need one or two more
> packages.  I'm sure the dependencies don't go very deep and for something
> like initscripts, it is unlikely that you won't have them already
> installed.  Particularly considering how small the change is.
>
> > 3. If push comes to shove, the simplest thing might be to physically
> > remove the second nic.
>
> That should work,
It DOES!!!
> but why go to such extremes if there is an alternative?
after tearing my hair for days with software kernel problems, popping
the nic (which is a spare) was not that extreme. It took me 30 minutes
including cleaning some dust outta the box and huffing and puffing to
get the iron back into place. (Once upon a time, I did hardware.)
Anyhow, it came right up, no problems or hiccups.

Having said that, you are absolutely right that rhn/fedora should give
this TOP PRIORITY and get either the fix or a later kernel into the
stream.

Thank you all;
nat