question about yum update, graphics packages

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 28 20:47:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 14:30 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:27:33 +0100
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
> > # yum remove gtk2 mesa-libGL
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use "rpm -q --whatrequires gtk2 mesa-libGL" instead?
> You can do that as non-root and there is no chance of having bad things happen
> by accident either.

That will only get a small subset of the dependencies. Possibly none in
fact. Most of the dependencies will be for the library sonames within
the packages rather than the packages by name, which is what the rpm
query will pick up.

There's probably a way to do this using repoquery but I can't remember the syntax offhand.

Paul.