kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jun 28 23:24:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

>> OK that fix is known to solve the Radeon power-consumption-in-suspend
>> problem.  It looks like there is still something else going on and using
>> the radeonfb driver doesn't fix it.
>
> I've measured the time to discharge two ways using  acpitool -b
> periodically:
> 1)  The laptop running quiescently, with screensaver operative
> 2)  The laptop in sleep mode, and manually woken periodically
> Both runs used kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 (because the 2139 version
> won't work) and the radeonfb radeon_force_sleep=1 option was used.
>
> Running  screensaver			Sleep mode
> Time		Charge		Time		Charge
> 10:58:43 AM	100		03:11:34 PM	98.54
> 11:18:43 AM	83.53		03:12:00 PM	98.51
> 11:38:43 AM	69.76		04:09:30 PM	74.84
> 11:58:43 AM	58.1		04:41:39 PM	63.4
> 12:18:43 PM	46.63		05:00:27 PM	56.62
> 12:38:43 PM	35.13		05:35:23 PM	44.32
> 12:58:43 PM	23.72		06:00:25 PM	35.45
> 01:18:43 PM	12.43		07:00:56 PM	14.28
> 01:38:43 PM	1.34		07:34:55 PM	0.03
> 				08:01:13 PM	31.18
> Time to discharge:
> 2h:40m = 2.67h                  4h:24m = 4.40h
>
> That's not very impressive; only 1.65x longer with sleep mode.
> I don't think the sleep mode is getting everything turned off that
> could be.  The operative /etc/acpi/events/sleep.conf action is
>    acpitool -s
>
> Perhaps there's a more effective way to enter sleep mode.
> Any suggestions?

First, are you sure the radeonfb module is being loaded?  During the text
part of the boot, the active VC should change to small font/full screen.
If you have a vga= kernel parameter on your kernel line in grub.conf,
remove it.  Also, dmesg should report radeonfb statuses, including

    radeonfb: forcefully enabling sleep mode

Otherwise, I just suspend/resume using the pm-utils as installed by
default in FC5.  I can close the lid or press Fn-F4 to suspend to RAM and
open the lid or press Fn alone (maybe other keys also) to resume.  I
haven't used acpitool to suspend.  My old FC4 scripts suspended by writing
"mem" into /sys/power/state.

I can suspend to RAM and have it last for a couple of days without
problem.

> I've just tried manually running
>    acpitool -S
> which suspends to disk and, to my amazement and surprise, it works!
> The laptop totally shuts down and can be awakened with the power
> button.  It takes somewhat longer, but the power drain is zero.
> My amazement is because I don't have a partition set aside for this,
> which I thought was necessary.
> Apparently it uses the swap space (and that's why one should have a
> swap partition as big as RAM, even if you never swap).
>
> Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, it uses swap.

Cool that it works for you.  Lat time I tried it, it suspended fine but
hung on resume.  Haven't had a chance to try to troubleshoot.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu