wpa_supplicant & bcm43xx working, NetworkManager not

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 29 00:34:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

Just a quick report that I have succeed in getting a wifi link from my
Acer laptop with a Broadcom BCM4318 chip active to a SpeedTouch 716
using WPA-PSK with AES. Unfortunately not with NetworkManager. Whatever
I do, if NetworkManager is involved things stop working and the door
handles fall off, except for LAN cable connections which work fine.

This is how I run wpa_supplicant (just from the command line, no daemon)

# /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 \
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

# ifup eth1

Contents of /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant:

INTERFACES="-ieth1"
DRIVERS="-Dwext"

Contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
eapol_version=1
fast_reauth=1
ap_scan=1

network={
        ssid="<name of my wifi box>"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        psk="<my passphrase in plain text without 0x prepended>"
}

If anyone in the know could kindly direct me to where the
wpa_supplicant/bcm43xx/NetworkManager combo bugzilla entry lives and
what kind of logs they need, I'll be happy to provide them.

Regards,
Patrick