Internet Access Wirelessly

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Jun 29 01:56:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 11:30 +1000, Claude Yu wrote:
> I  would be pleased if someone can kindly suggest which is best over
> connection to
> internet(under FC-5 kernel)wirelessly without any issues between
> Netgear and Linksys
> router and NIC card. These are the WLAN packs I will opt for one
> before
> buying. But if someone tells me there is gonna be
> big problem in either of these, then I will avoid
> buying. You know, you can't easily get refund after buying.
>
> Please have your advice and thanks.

Hi Claude,

I would go with NetGear. If you are using the PCMCIA wireless card, it
uses the Orinoco driver (I am using the MA401 802.11b card, a little old
-- not sure if the newer NetGear cards still use Orinoco chipsets),
which seems to be integrated into the kernel, so no need to use
Madwifi.

If you are thinking of PCI wireless cards, here is a warning: I bought a
DLink card that was supposed to be able to work with Linux and Windows,
but after plugging it in, I found that it only works with Windows !
Apparently there were two versions for the same card, one produced in
China that worked only with Windows, and another produced elsewhere that
worked with both. I also have a NetGear PCI card that uses the Atheros
chipset. Needs Madwifi and some configuration at the beginning, and
everytime you upgrade your kernel, but it works well.

Hope this helps !

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur