Fedroa Core 5 Java

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Jun 29 02:54:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 18:35 -0700, Jeanette Russo wrote:
> Can someone please help me troubleshoot why my
> broswers are not using Java vm.
>
> I installed the RPM's from Sun and they installed fine
> and I can see them load when the machine boots.
>
> But neither Firefox or Opera are using the java.
>
> I am a kind of new user returning after being away
> from Linux for the last 4 years
>
> Thanks

Hi Jeanette,

You still need to setup a symbolic link in order to get the Java plugin
working in your browser:

1. Locate the plugins directory for your Firefox. It should be something
like /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins

2. Locate the Java plugin in your Java distribution. The filename should
be something like libjavaplugin_oji.so. I'm not sure where this file is
located for Sun's Java, because I never use it on Linux. Anyway, the
general location should be /path/to/java/jre/bin/

3. Create a symbolic link:

# ln -s /path/to/java/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

4. Restart the browser and in the address bar, type: about:plugins

5. You should see the Java plug-in registered there.

Hope this helps!

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur