several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 29 05:29:13 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>> In fact, for most mobile applications, NetworkManager is the better
>>> tool anyway.
>>>
>> I've never been able to make it work with the broadcom radio in this
>> lappy. To me NM is terminally broken. YMMV of course.
>
> I have an ipw2200 and an Orinoco and my M does indeed V.  But from the
> NM FAQ:
>
>     I'm using a Broadcom 4xxx-based card, but NetworkManager won't connect
>     to my wireless network. Why?
>
>     The Broadcom wireless drivers are under active development and have
>     come a long way, but are not quite as mature as others. It's a good
>     bet that bcm4xxx problems will be solved in furture kernel versions.
>     Until recently, this driver did not support the Shared Key WEP
>     authentication mode, still used by many access points. There are also
>     reported problems connecting to open networks.
>
>     A workaround might be to use the NDISWrapper driver instead of the the
>     bcm43xx driver included in the Linux kernel, at least until the kernel
>     driver version fixes these bugs.
>
> So YMMV in the future as well, and I'd recommend you keep trying.  It's
> a nice tool when it works.  Reports I've seen of success with
> ndiswrapper have been mixed.

I am using ndiswrapper.  Unforch, when the transition to the 2139
kernel was made, both the ndiswrapper stuff, and the ntfs stuff are now
massively out of synch on livna.

So I cannot advance to this newer kernel without losing both the
networking and my ability to mount the xp partition I left on the drive
when I installed FC5.

Yumex's error message when I attempt to install these:
Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is
not available.
Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is
not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.

Nuff said.

All the rest of the X11 related stuff available this evening is
installing now.  Uneventfully.

--
Cheers, Gene