Internet access wirelessly

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Jun 29 05:37:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 15:07 +1000, Claude Yu wrote:
> Hi Chong,
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> How about Netgear PCI Nic model WG311T and Cable/DSL Router WGT624
> twin pair pack ?  Checking their datasheet it does not mention what
> chipset is used.  What commands in Terminal mode (FC-5) are required
> to configure the Nic card you say, I am a newbie and please explain a
> little bit more & thanks.
> Do you say these will be support without drama in FC-5 built-in
> driver?

Hi Claude,

Looks like the WG311T uses the Atheros chipset, see
http://www.packetpro.com/~peterson/linux-netgear_wg311t_pci.html

So, that means you will need Madwifi. The easiest way to install it is
to use the RPM packages for madwifi at Livna or Atrpms. I would
recommend that you NOT use the latest kernel (2.6.17-1.2139) when you
install and use the wireless card, because of the interface switching
issue.

Very detailed instructions can be found in the link below. You should
scroll down to see the instructions for Fedora Core 5:
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/RedHat

Hope this helps !

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur