Fedroa Core 5 Java

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 29 09:54:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 18:35 -0700, Jeanette Russo wrote:
> Can someone please help me troubleshoot why my
> broswers are not using Java vm.
>
> I installed the RPM's from Sun and they installed fine
> and I can see them load when the machine boots.
>
> But neither Firefox or Opera are using the java.
>
> I am a kind of new user returning after being away
> from Linux for the last 4 years

If you have installed Sun's java RPMs you may find that they get
uninstalled when you update your system. This is because Sun's packages
are done in a way incompatible with the way the rest of Fedora handles
java. This is mentioned in the FC4 release notes.

If you want Java RPMs, the ones from JPackage are the best way to go:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava

Installing the Sun non-RPM package into /opt is a slightly simpler
alternative, as has been mentioned by others.

Paul.