hostname and dhcp question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 30 15:39:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 22:28 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> 1. Most DSL Router/Modems have some kind of web management facility.
> On my Netgear wireless router, I first determine the MAC address of my
> computers (I have only 3 computers, so it is quite easy), then tie one
> IP address to each MAC address. My Netgear router also allows me to
> assign it a hostname. However, because the Netgear router has no DNS
> functionality, this feature is just for the router administrator (me!)
> to know which system is which.
>
> 2. Next, I setup a DNS server so that the IP addresses get assigned
> some meaningful name. If you have more than, say, 5 computers, you
> should probably learn how to setup BIND DNS.

If I was in that position, and I am, I would tend to turn off the DHCP
server in the router, and run DNS and DHCP servers from the one PC.
That way it's much easier to get them working together.

I have a Fedora box with both on, the DHCP server updates the local DNS
server with records for the local machines.  Even if you weren't
integrating the two services, it's convenient to configure DHCP
assignments and DNS records on the one machine.

I read messages from the public lists.