GNOME won't boot

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jun 30 20:04:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 20:35 +0200, dragontale wrote:
> So libglade is not part of Glade Interface Designer and that it needs gnome to function properly? Holy crap........I think I DID uninstall it. On my previous post, I forgot to include the following command to uninstall glade interface designer's files. Here is a description of what I would do to uninstall rpm files.
>
> rpm -e asdf
> or
> rpm -e --nodeps asdf
>
> ^ As you see above, that's what I would do to uninstall rpm files. But again, I'm pretty sure that I uninstalled libglade-2.0.so.0 because I can't find it anywhere on my computer. I uninstalled it because I thought libglade was apart of glade interface and that it had the word "Glade" in it, yea sounds stupid that's why I uninstalled it.
>
> I also did remember seeing about 100 dependencies when I tried to uninstall some files from glade interface. When I saw those 100 dependency files, I knew that I couldn't remove them and so I forced that file to be uninstalled and leaving out the dependency files and I did it with the following command:
>
> rpm -e --nodeps libglade-2.0.so.0

The --nodeps (and to a lesser extent --force) options in rpm are for
experts that really know what they're doing. Using them without really
knowing what you're doing often results in a borked system.

When rpm tells you there are about 100 dependencies when you try to
uninstall something, the list of 100 things it produces is a list of 100
things that are very likely not going to work any more if you uninstall
it using --nodeps.

So please don't use --nodeps again.

> > To Jim Cornette,
> >

> You said libglade provides a library for system-confg-securitylevel. Yea that's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure I delete libglade and libglade2 because I tried to search for it with the following command:
>
> $ rpm -qV libglade
> $ rpm -qV libglade2
>
> ^ I typed the above and got nothing. Here is what I got when I typed in the following:
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i libglade
>
> ^ After typing the above command, I recieved the following files:
>
> libglade2-devel-2.5.1-2
> pygtk2-libglade-2.6.0-2
>
> The above list is what I got.
>
> and yes I read through the files from the official website, I researched on what files the programs contain then that's when I uninstall them. I thought I had all the information that I had to uninstall Glade Interface Designer, but I guess not this time.
>
> You suggested that I should reinstall libglade? I think that will be a good idea. I wouldn't want to do a fresh installment because then I would have to setup the internet and stuff and configure everything again which is a major headache.
>
> As of this moment, the only thing I'm trying to do is reinstalling libglade, but not sure how to. My internet light(router) is on but I'm not logged in so I can't download any files online. Is there any way to get back libglade?
>
> I hope I followed up on all of your responses, if I missed out on something please let me know.

There will be a file called libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm on your install
media in the Fedora/RPMS directory (not sure which CD if you're using
CDs). Find that file. Let's say its full pathname is:

/media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm

In a terminal, as root, type:

# rpm -Uvh /media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm

(if you're on a 64-bit version of FC4, substitute x86_64 for i386)

Paul.