GNOME won't boot

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Jun 30 20:29:17 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 20:35 +0200, dragontale wrote:
>> I also did remember seeing about 100 dependencies when I tried to
>> uninstall some files from glade interface. When I saw those 100
>> dependency files, I knew that I couldn't remove them and so I
>> forced that file to be uninstalled and leaving out the dependency
>> files and I did it with the following command:

Eeek.  Those 100 or so dependencies are there for a reason.  You need
to be very sure you understand those reasons before you override them.

>> rpm -e --nodeps libglade-2.0.so.0

I'm not sure how that command would work.  Rpm would expect a package
name, not a file name.

>> As of this moment, the only thing I'm trying to do is reinstalling
>> libglade, but not sure how to. My internet light(router) is on but
>> I'm not logged in so I can't download any files online. Is there
>> any way to get back libglade?
[...]
> There will be a file called libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm on your
> install media in the Fedora/RPMS directory (not sure which CD if
> you're using CDs). Find that file. Let's say its full pathname is:
>
> /media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm
>
> In a terminal, as root, type:
>
> # rpm -Uvh /media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/libglade2-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm

As usual, Paul's got good advice.

For further reference, if you're not using NetworkManager to manage a
wireless connection to your router, you may be able to get the network
up from the console (text mode terminal, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to
one).  To activate the first ethernet device, run (as root):

    /sbin/ifup eth0

Once you get things working again, use yum to manage your packages if
you want to use the command line, or use "Add/Remove Software" from
the Gnome menu to do this graphically.  Yum is a good thing and will
manage all of the dependencies for you.  If you get your internect
connection working, you could install libglade2 using this command (as
root):

    yum install libglade2

Good luck,

- --
I may kid around about drugs, but really, I take them seriously.
    -- Doctor Graper