ProFTP login horror

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Mar 1 13:26:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 21:24 +0100, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi Les,
> > I haven't used proftpd for a while.  Does it have any security
> > options (like not running as root or living in a chroot jail)
> > that would keep it from reading your shadow password file?
>
> Yes, it doesn't run as root and can live in a chroot jail.
>
> > And out of curiosity, why are you using it instead of vsftpd?
>
> When I read through the config of vsftp I didn't see whether I could do the
> following with it :
>
> 1) I need to allow login only for local known users and need all to have
> read/write access but limited only to the ftp directory when accessed over
> ftp.
> 2) I need the port of the ftp server to be different than 21
>
> Perhaps I haven't checked out vsftp well enough though. If it's possible to do
> this with vsftp than I'd like to know.

I think it does all you ask.
Read the man page and /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf for information.
Pretty powerful, can allow one or none to access anywhere except a
specified chroot directory, etc. By default any users allowed are
chrooted to their home directory, but that is easily configured to do
what you ask.