crazy question (want to locate a particular function from all object files)

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 1 23:17:47 UTC 2006

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to list all object files on my machine, and then to locate all
> matches to a particular function?
>
> Many thanks and best wishes!

define "object files." Most people mean the output of an assembler (or
compiler), but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

Such files generally have names ending in ".o"

I suggest you write a little script like this:

#!/bin/bash
echo $1
nm $1

Shall we call it "listem" and store it in ~/bin/

Don't forget "chmod +x ~/bin/listem"

Then:
find <where you expect them> -type f -name \*.o \
	-exec ~/bin/listem {} \; \
	 >/tmp/listed

If you mean "shared object" then the suffix is .so, and there might be
some .a files of interest.

--

Cheers
John