Home directories

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Mon Mar 6 12:57:11 UTC 2006

I am the only one thinking that installing new users home directories
into /home/ by default is a bad idea.  What I would have liked to see in
future Fedora releases is,  a /export/home directory that was used by
default, and that the user directories was automounted
on /home/. from that or from some file server.

That way it would be much easier to make network setups. It would also
simplify the use of mobile computers not always connected to the
network, as they could mount home directories
on a file server when connected to a network, and to fail over to the
local version when disconnected. The server and the remote /etc/exports
could then be kept synchronized with rsync. when the user logged in or
out, or on user  demand.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Uno Engborg