MySQL upgrade

Jim Douglas jdz99 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:39:32 UTC 2006

>From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: MySQL upgrade
>Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:00:49 -0700
>
>On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 20:01 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
> > >From: Boris Glawe <boris at boris-glawe.de>
> > >To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> > >Subject: Re: MySQL upgrade
> > >Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:22:06 +0100

>-bb?

> > >no, it's no problem.
> > >
> > >The instructions on the specified link are very complicated.
> > >
> > >Simply download the MySQL...src.rpm and build it with
> > >
> > >rpmbuil --rebuild MSQL....src.rpm
> > >
> > >greets Boris
> > >
> > >--
> >
> > When I run,
> >
> > mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=XXXXXXX
> >
> > I get this,
> >
> > This script updates all the mysql privilege tables to be usable by
> > MySQL 4.0 and above.
> >
> > This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions,
> > CREATE AGGREGATE FUNCTION, stored procedures, or
> > more secure passwords in 4.1
> >
> > You can safely ignore all 'Duplicate column' and 'Unknown column' errors
> > because these just mean that your tables are already up to date.
> > This script is safe to run even if your tables are already up to date!
> >
> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > 'car/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
> > Got a failure from command:
> > cat /usr/share/mysql/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql | /usr/bin/mysql
> > --no-defaults --force --user=root --host=localhost --password=mypassword
> > --database=mysql
> > Please check the above output and try again.
> >
> > If you get an 'Access denied' error, you should run this script again
>and
> > give the MySQL root user password as an argument with the --password=
>option
> >

> > I tried,
> > mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=XXXXXXX
> > mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password='XXXXXXX
> > mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password="XXXXXXX"'
> >
> > When does this socket get created?
>----
>the socket
>
>/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock is created when mysqld service is started
>
>above you have 'car/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' which looks like a problem.
>
>I've never used the script to which you are referring but I've never
>used MySQL 5.x either so don't go by me but I always simply consider the
>following...
>
>mysql_install_db # creates the base db's
>
>and check out /etc/my.cnf
>----
># cat /etc/my.cnf
>[mysqld]
>datadir=/var/lib/mysql
>socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
># Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
># clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
>old_passwords=0

> [...]

I downloaded the tar for the source code, unzipped and copied the
support-files/my-medium.cnf into /etc/my.cnf and now it works.

The v. 4 config file doesn't work wih v.5.  My webapp is back up and running
but there are still issues, I cannot rebuild Postfix with this version of
MySQL.  I get the following error,

error: Failed dependencies:
    libmysqlclient.so.14 is needed by postfix-2.2.2-2.i386.rpm

I think this has to do with the fact that v5 of MySQL uses a different path
to mysql.sock

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port		= 3306