Automounting external USB so as not required by root

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 11 19:32:40 UTC 2006

Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> I have an external USB drive. For some reason, it is not accessible to
> anyone using the machine unless root mounts it first. Default
> configuration of my system doesn't allow apparently anyone else to mount
> the drive but root. How do I change this so that device is mounted
> automatically and is accessible to anyone using the system by default?
>
> Ferindo

Here's my entry in /etc/fstab (for FC2) which works the way
you described (edited to fit the line).

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto    noauto,user,exec 0 0

You probably want to use something other than /mnt/usb as your
mount point. I have mine set not to auto mount, so you probably
want to remove the "noauto". To find out about the switches
available in that line, check "man mount".

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.