Share /boot between fc3 and fc5?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 11 20:41:18 UTC 2006

--On Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:38 AM -0500 Tony Nelson
<tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> Should I have it put everything in the LVM partition and
> copy the relevent files from its /boot to the real one, and modify the
> grub.conf by hand?

Don't share boot. Share boot/grub. Pick one to be the "real" boot/grub and
after you've installed the 2nd OS, use a loop mount to mount the
authoritative boot/grub over boot/grub on the other OS. Then, when you
update kernels on the other OS, the install script will update grub.conf in
the authoritative boot directory.

I'm doing essentially this, but with FC4 i386 on one partition and x86_64
on the other. The tedious part is that I have to hand-edit the grub entry
after a kernel upgrade to indicate which entries are which partition. They
both say "Fedora Core 4" (and the kernel version) but not the arch.