DVD burning issue

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 13 13:00:58 UTC 2006

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> It's always asking me for a dual layer disk also and it still take
>>> regular DVD+R though I've never been able to succesfully burn a DVD-R
>>> even with 2 different burners, using k3b, growisofs, xcdroast and
>>> cdrecord. And one burner was testing under WinXP and did succesfully
>>> burn a DVD-R. I also tried with a Knoppix or Ubuntu live CD and got the
>>> same results so it's not something that's related to Fedora specifically
>>> but at a lower level. So I'm gonna be using DVD+Rs for now until I can
>>> find a solution that will allow me to burn DVD-Rs.
>>>

>> Strange; I use DVD-Rs all the time (on two different machines) and
>> haven't had problems using them with growisofs or cdrecord. On the other
>> hand, I usually find I need to manually fixate DVD+Rs before they're
>> readable.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

> Is it not the machine that determines the +/-R required, different laser
> wavelengths and different dyes?  I thought they were not interchangeable?

My DVD writer will handle a variety of different media types:

$ cdrecord -prcap
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/cdwriter'
devname: '/dev/cdwriter'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c  1.83
04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-2500A '
Revision       : '1.06'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

   Does read CD-R media
   Does write CD-R media
   Does read CD-RW media
   Does write CD-RW media
   Does read DVD-ROM media
   Does read DVD-R media
   Does write DVD-R media
   Does not read DVD-RAM media
   Does not write DVD-RAM media
   Does support test writing

I've tried it with DVD+R media and that worked too, though I had to
manually fixate the disc after writing it.

Paul.