Configure sendmail to reject mail for unknown users?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Mar 14 22:19:16 UTC 2006

Timothy Alberts wrote:

> Yes, it is 'msiscales.com'. The second MX record is supposed to be a
> backup when our server is down.

The suggestion that you use a virtusertable on your backup MX is a good
one.  I do something similar at my site, where our mail filters run on
top of sendmail, and are separate from the actual spooling servers.

Another option that I haven't seen mentioned is this: Don't run a backup
MX.  Pretty much every sender will retry delivery on a reasonable
schedule if your host is down.  I can't think of a single reason to run
a backup MX at all.  They usually just create administrative overhead
because of exactly the problem you're having now.