slow boot; NFS statd; rpc.statd

Mike Wright ebwximaurm at mailinator.com
Tue Mar 14 22:42:17 UTC 2006

Hi List Users,

Running fc4.

When the system boots, during the INIT phase, it pauses for about 1
minute at "Starting NFS statd".  I have other fc4 boxes where this
doesn't happen.  I turn off everything I don't want/need using chkconfig
and so may have inadvertantly turned off something necessary.  I'm
pretty sure it's not dns related (those delays are 26 seconds).

I've chased it into init.d/nfslock.  Further investigation shows that
the delay is actually happening when that script invokes "daemon
rpc.statd".  rpc.statd is a binary so I can't follow it further.
Checking the man page for statd says sometimes this happens when there
is no hostname so I added the hostname into /etc/hostname with no
apparent effect.

Has anyone experienced this and can share some insight?

Thanks for any help!

Mike Wright :m)