SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 17 05:35:03 UTC 2006

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

> Time out!
>
> You missed one.  A critical one.  Plus a few other details...
>
> Number one...  Firewall - critical...
>
> iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT

[snip]

#

> 2) Update your iptables conf file

I don't know what this refers to.

> 3) Double check that you have a share section for the resource your are
> requesting.

/etc/samba/smb.conf

[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

> 4) Restart the Samba server

I've restarted it several times, but of course it needs it
again, so...

# service smb stop
Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down NMB services:                                [  OK  ]
# service winbind stop

Shutting down Winbind services:                            [  OK  ]
# service smb start
Starting SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
# service winbind start
Starting Winbind services:                                 [  OK  ]
#
> 5) Retest

JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net view \\PRESARIO

Error 5: Access has been denied.

Progress! This is a *different* error message. It used to be

Error 53: The computer named in the network path cannot be located.

> 6) (Just for shits and giggles) Try a longer name with only alpha
> numerics.
> 7) Take this issue up on the Samba list (where there is lots of
> expertise in dealing with whacked out antiquated versions of MS cruft).

Umm, thanks.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.