SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 17 05:42:35 UTC 2006

Ben wrote:
> "Mike McCarty" <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>
> ???????:4419DD2C.4020700 at sbcglobal.net...
>
>>Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>>Mike McCarty wrote:
>>>

>>>You may have to edit the lmhosts file on the MSCLIENT machine, and
>>>add an entry for the Sambe machine. If you don't have one, you can
>>>create on. The form on the entries:
>>><ip address> <NETBOIS NAME>
>>
>>That file exists, but is empty. I added a line, and did
>>
>>JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net stop
>>[confirm to log out]
>>JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net start
>>[successful login and start]
>>
>>But it still cannot find that machine. A possibility I have
>>considered...
>>
>>When I set up MSCLIENT, I gave the Linux box as the gateway.
>>Should I have done that?
>>
>>I said that I can ping, and that's true, but not by name,
>>BTW. I use the (static) IP addresses.
>>

>>>The problem could be that the MSCLIENT is not finding the NMB
>>>server, so it can not get a list of machines on the network.
>>>This is especially true is you more then just the TCP/IP protocol
>>>installed. For some reason, MSCLIENT does not do a good job of host
>>>lookup using TCP/IP, and always seems to fail if you have other
>>>protocols. This may be because TCP/IP is somewhat of an add-on to
>>>MSCLIENT.
>>
>>I don't think I installed NETBEUI or other protocol. I believe
>>I only installed TCP/IP.
>>
>>Mike
>>--
>>p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>>This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>>You have found the bank of Larn.
>>I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
>>I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>>

> just for guess,
>
> Is there of statement "workgroup=xxx" in the smb.conf?
> is the workgroup declaration is the same in both FC2 & MSCLIENT?
> is the firewall setting in FC2 suitable for incoming to SAMBA server?

 From /etc/samba/smb.conf

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
         workgroup = workgroup
         netbios name = presario

Yes, MSCLIENT uses that workgroup name.
After opening UDP (per another message) I now get access denied,
rather than unable to find the computer by name.

> can you use smbclient to connect the SAMBA in FC2.
> should the command in MSCLIENT be "net use f: \\presario\jmccarty"
> OR "net use f: \\SMB_IP_ADDRESS\jmccarty"

Well, it needs to be something shared :-)

Right now, it seems to be able tofind the machine, but it is
getting denials.

> Perhaps,
> you may find a bootdisk in http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/
> you may use the bookdisk to connect the samba in other workstation for
> testing.

I built that boot disc and that is what I'm running on the DOS side.

> OR
> you may goto news group "gmane.network.samba.general" for help.

I'd have to sign another contract with my ISP, I guess. I don't have
(AFAIK) usenet access.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.