IPTables

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Mar 19 23:25:04 UTC 2006

Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi people,
> I am running a server in college at the minute. I just re installed it
> because (amoungst other things), IPTables wasn't doing anything. Now I
> have exactly the same iptables problem.
>
> If I do:
> service iptables start
>
> I just get returned to the prompt, the same with /etc/init.d/iptables
> start.
>
> Why am I getting no output, how can I get iptables to start please?

What output are you expecting?  Some clarification on the terminology:

 - "Netfilter" in the kernel is the business end of the firewall action,
and it's always on.

 - /sbin/iptables is a commandline program to add, remove and manage
firwall rules in Netfilter from userland.

 - /etc/init.d/iptables is a confusingly named utility script to store
and retreive lists of firewall rules and plug them into Netfilter using
the /sbin/iptables app

To see your current firewall situation

iptables -L -n

-Andy