De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 20 09:36:54 UTC 2006

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>

===8<---
I saw that, but see below
> can describe an unlimited number  of  parti-
> tions.  In  sector  0 there is room for the description of 4 partitions
> (called ‘primary’). One of these may be an extended partition; this  is
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
'may be an extended partition' - does that mean it should be, or it could be?
IOW, would you do it that way?
===8<---

I do not understand your question. Any single one of the basic four
partitions can be an extended partition. This may be partition one, two,
three, or four. Logical partitions are numbered 5 on up. The way these
partitions work there seems to be no reason you cannot have a disk with
four extended partitions other than "it doesn't make sense." One is quite
sufficient.

{^_^}