Why cant BitTorrent just work?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Mar 20 22:57:09 UTC 2006

Phil wrote:
> Acutally I get the same issue... I get dialup download speeds...
>
> On 3/20/06, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 12:49 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
>>

>>>First off, it (BitTorrent) is not in Fedora4, why?
>>
>>It's not in Fedora (the distribution proper) because it's in Extras (the
>>biggest repository associated with Fedora).
>>
>>Uninstall whatever you grabbed from the Internet first.
>>Then do:
>>
>>yum install bittorrent
>>
>>Then run:
>>
>>bittorrent-curses The_Desired_Torrent_File.torrent
>>
>>Where The_Desired_Torrent_File.torrent is one of these:
>>
>>http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/bordeaux-binary-i386.torrent
>>http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/bordeaux-DVD-i386.torrent
>>http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/bordeaux-binary-x86_64.torrent
>>http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/bordeaux-DVD-x86_64.torrent
>>

>>>I try bittorrent insted.  It never starts.
>>
>>bittorrent-curses is the one that works best in most cases. The correct
>>syntax is indicated above.
>>

>>>Damn, it (bittorrent) really seemed like a good idea, to bad that
>>>    they cant get it to the point where it just works AND THEN
>>>    LEAVE IT ALONE,
>>
>>The actual showstopper might be between the keyboard and the chair. ;-)
>>
>>--
>>Florin Andrei
>>
>>http://florin.myip.org/
>>
>>--

Phil,

This may be an issue with your ISP.  Does bittorrent work for other
downloads or just slow in general?

I say this as there is a trend in Canada to bandwidth shape users net
access by packet filtering.  I can supply a link to this issue and how
encrypted torrent clients get around the filtering.

--
Robin Laing