FC5 install: Anaconda fails: "out of diskspace"

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 21 14:42:40 UTC 2006

Colin Brace wrote:
> On 3/21/06, Alain PORTAL <aportal at univ-montp2.fr> wrote:
>
>> Do you really need a 213G home partition?
>
> I have a lot of media files (avi, mp3, tiff).
>
>> With a such disk, I strongly suggest you to use logical volume management that
>> let you resizing partition as often you need.
>
> LVM is great, I am using it on other drives. But you need to reformat
> your partitions to use it, and I would need to copy all 177GB from my
> home partition to some other location in order to do this, but at the
> moment I don't have the diskspace to do this.
>
> Anaconda offers the option to upgrade an existing setup; I've used it
> before, ie, when upgrading from FC3 to FC4. There must be some
> *simple* explanation for and solution to this "out of diskspace"
> error.

If you switch to one of the text console windows (3 I think, maybe
Ctrl-Alt-F3), you may get an indication in anaconda's log as to where
the space problem is.

Upgrades require a lot of free disk space; I usually find myself
removing a few big packages like openoffice before doing the upgrade,
then reinstall it afterwards.

What sort of install are you doing? DVD, CD, NFS, HTTP?

Paul.