bittorrent slow

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Mar 21 19:20:51 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:08 PM -0500 "Alex F. Evonosky"
<alex at alexevon.org> wrote:

> Also be aware that many MSO's and ISP's are deploying mitigation
> appliances (e.g. Sandvine) in their networks to mitigate P2P to a
> substantial rate decrease.  Also, Sandvines can limit the number seeds
> per client, just an FYI.

How smart are they? Are they port-based? I configure non-standard ports for
my BT client. Some of the newer BT clients can even encrypt the stream with
peers so that content analysis is stymied. That leaves traffic behavior as
the remaining method to identify P2P.