No sound problem ?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 22 10:39:49 UTC 2006

Neil Brookes wrote:
> Andy,
> This is looking more and more worrying !!!
> This has been an ongoing problem for me for quite a while. I cant
> remember 'exactly' what other solutions I have tried, but it did involve
> attempting to recompile Alsa modules.

Unless your soundcard is brand new or buggy, and so not properly
supported by the default RHAT kernel's Alsa, you shouldn't need to
consider recompiling Alsa.

Best method is to rise above it all :-)

http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/

Grab this from there:

http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5.i686.rpm

install and make sure grub will boot you into it.  Then try again afresh
(because you will get a fresh set of Alsa modules from RHAT in there) with

system-config-soundcard

-Andy