bittorrent slow

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 22 18:48:50 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 03:59, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Florin Andrei wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>

>>>2. Some ISPs, especially in the US, _do_ restrict BitTorrent
>>>In some cases, it's a layer 3 limiter which can be evaded by
>>>shifting ports. In other cases it's a layer 4 limiter which usually
>>>cannot be evaded by shifting ports, and may or may not be evaded by
>>>encrypted clients.
>>>If that's the case, take your business elsewhere and make sure to
>>>let the former ISP know why you're leaving them.
>>
>>If I were your ISP, I'd be glad to see your backside.
>>
>>This attitude is part of why I said I'm philosophicaly opposed to
>>BitTorrent.
>>

> Why?  Properly done, it doesn't make their data traffic any worse, in
> fact less "peaky".  I'm seeding both the cd's and the dvd of FC5 right

[snip]

Untrue. Are you claiming to be a load balancing expert? I've worked
in telecom, and what you claim is untrue. On most systems the
backward link has much lower capacity than the forward link, and
having a bunch of people uploading rather than downloading
saturates the link. It amounts to a DOS attack on other users of
the link.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.