Dumping Windows

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 22 23:32:16 UTC 2006

Thom Paine wrote:
> Check the samba site. There is a 'Samba By Example' that I use
> regularly for my job. There are tons of real world examples for
> different scenarios that may help. I can't recall a specific example
> that talks about migrating the existing Windows Server to Samba, but
> there is a good chapter on a network with 2000 users and how to handle
> it. You might find something helpful in that book.
>
> As a side note, are you sure you want to use something as dynamic as
> Fedora for a network of this size? Sounds like the server(s) should
> maybe run RHEL and the workstations Fedora? But that's just me.

If Linux is an option for the workstations, I'd be using RHEL or a clone
on those too.

Or Kubuntu/Ubuntu: Dapper, due in June, has the long life you need, and
it's in development now so you can have a look, participate in testing
and offer feedback.

Fedora, IMV, isn't an option for an enterprise with lots of users, my
experience has been that it's entirely likely you will have unbootable
boxes at some point, where the Air Movement Device would be absolutely
buried in smelly, brown, sticky stuff.

Ubuntu releases often, so always there's a release with the latest, but
once released there are only updates for security and important bugs, no
updates because "here's a new version." Ordinarily, the support life is
quite short, but Dapper's being polished and prepped for years of
useful, supported service.

--

Cheers
John