FC5 Reiser fs installation problem

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Thu Mar 23 07:30:40 UTC 2006

Danny Ciarniello wrote:

> That seems to fix the selinux problem but, unfortunately, another
> problem has been exposed.  Now at the first reboot after installation,
> I get a number of "File not found" type messages.  I cannot remember
> the exact wording of the messages but the gist of them was that
> /dev/root and /proc, amongst others, could not be found.  /dev/root is
> sitting on my root (/) partition which I have formatted with a reiser
> fs.  At first glance, it would seem that the root partition could not
> be mounted so the system could not find the files that it was looking
> for.

I finally figured out the problem.  The kernel line in grub.conf
contains root=LABEL=/ and fstab has a matching entry.  This "mount by
label" method does not work with reiserfs.  I booted up in rescue mode
and change LABEL=/ to /dev/sda2 in both grub.conf and fstab.  That fixed
the problem and my system now boots without problem.

Dan.