FC5 issue with ndiswrapper

Gary Cobb gecobb at maine.rr.com
Fri Mar 24 11:20:27 UTC 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:
> <snip>
>> The kernel-devel rpm is on the distro.  All I had to
>> do was select the
>> development packages and it installed it for me.
>>
>>      kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.x86_64.rpm
>>      kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.x86_64.rpm
>> are both on the install DVD.
>>

> </snip>
*** That's an x86_64 DVD, I used the i386 CD and it was no where to be
found either on the FC5T3 or the FC5 GA distro.

> Has anyone gotten NetworkManager or the network gui
> applet to recognize wlan0 usin ndiswrapper?
>
> I can manage wlan0 fine in cli, but not the nice gui
> tools. So I think its not an ndiswrapper of
> wireless-tools problem.

No.  IMHO it is busted.  It worked in FC4 and FC5T3, but not in FC5.

I had to go  to my FC4 partition and copy the files in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts manually into the FC5 partition.  Then
everything worked like a charm.  I don't know where the responsibility
for creating these files lies.

I used to be able to 1) install and configure ndiswrapper, 2) bring up
the interface from CLI, 3) run system-config-network, 4) disable eth0 at
startup (just gets rid of a boot time "FAILED" message), 5) configure
and enable wlan0 at startup, and 6) reboot.  Not any more :-(