is NetworkManager running with ndiwrapper-driven cards?

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 25 15:55:59 UTC 2006

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> I dunno where i wrote my answer - but yes, i got it up and running
>>> yesterday. I was using livna's ndiswrapper (which in fact did not run out
>>> of the box, i had a little workaround to do)
>>>
>>> I have to say - i really like it, now i can choose with one click, which
>>> network to use.
>>>
>>> NetworkManager never was an option before, as it did not support wpa as it
>>> does today.
>>>
>>> So i can say, i am very happy with Network-Manager. What is your problem
>>> around NM? The card?
>>>
>>> Roger
>>>

>> I noted that you have ndiswrapper happily running.  I have been trying
>> to get livna ndiswrapper to work with my Linksys WPC54G card on FC5 and
>> have no luck.
>>
>> The card was recognized, and I was able to set it up in
>> system-config-network, but now every time the system tries to use the
>> card, either during boot if it is plugged in at that time, or anytime I
>> plug the card in, the system freezes.  This same card works with
>> ndiswrapper in Ubuntu 5.10 in another laptop of the same model.
>>
>> Any suggestions for me to try?
>>
>> I am to the point of trying to find a native-supported card to replace
>> my Linksys card.
>>
>> Thanks. Gerry
>>

> Does your card perhaps need 16k-stack?
>
> Roger

It did under FC4 where I installed ndiswrapper from a tarball.  This
time I installed from a livna rpm, and since no one on the list
mentioned the need for 16k stack, I presumed that issue had been
addressed.  There are no current 16k stack FC5 kernels at linuxant.com
to download.  I did not get any messages from the system that a 16k
stack kernel was required - I think I did in FC4.

I purchased a Netgear card on e-bay that is supported by madwifi and
will try that when it arrives.
Thanks.
Gerry