Fedora 5 DVD - hangs during dependency check

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 19:53:20 UTC 2006

Combining few thread responses (this is not TP)

On 3/27/06, Roberto Mason < baubba at rmasonfamily.info> wrote:

> I ran memtest for 3 passes (1.5 hrs). I have 12Gigs available for
> var/tmp.

That,s good, rather very good,

On 3/27/06, Roberto Mason <baubba at rmasonfamily.info > wrote:

> sorry, I started an install yesterday at about 3PM, went out and came
> back home, and it was still trying to resolve dependencies

this is not, but anyway lighter way

On 3/27/06, Jeff Vian < jvian10 at charter.net > wrote:

> Hangs, as in - sits idle for over 24 hours and never completes?
>    Or
> Hangs, as in - takes an unexpectedly long time?.
>
> The first may be a problem.
> The second may just be a perception of a hang.  Let it run for a while
> and see if it finishes.  An install has a lot of packages to verify
> dependency checks on. Time required is dependent upon system (cpu speed,
> memory, drive space, etc.) and installation (number of packages, etc).

Therefore it brings us to
 numlock / capslock should respond i.e keyboard LED indicators should flip
in reasonable time (<60sec  / <your paitience)
else it is deadlock if there is no HDD/CD/DVD activity

and what after that

UR not (tweaking) sharing swap space between FC4 and FC5.
Did U burn the disc at max speed, if all else fails, try a low speed burn or
better may be a CD-LESS install. See other recent threads on some very good
howto
Also the other suggestion is good that U remove ATI card and install with
on-board VGA/AGP.

--
Anil Kumar Shrama