FC5 release and Grub

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 01:47:54 UTC 2006

Dan Thurman wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 15:28 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Please bear with me, but it appears that if you plan
>> to install FC5 release as multi-boot, i.e. anything
>> outside of anaconda grub-install's default setup, you
>> may in in for a bit of a surprise... but your milage
>> may vary.
>>
>> I have installed FC5 several times now and I find
>> these facts at least on my system:
>>
>> 1) NON Multi-boot, first time install of FC5
>>    Results: Installation completes and all works.
>>
>> 2) Multi-boot partitions:
>>
>>    P#1: 10GB: FAT32 Win98SE
>>    P#2: 10GB: NTFS  Win2KPro
>>    P#3: 75MB: ext3  /boot
>>    P#$: 110GB Extended
>>         20GB  NTFS  /App1
>>         30GB  NTFS  /App2
>>         30GB  NTFS  /App3
>>         30GB  ext3  /
>>
>>   Special Grub install instructions:
>>     a) Add:    /dev/hda3 (hd0,2) # for /boot - make this default
>>        Delete: 'Other' - no use for it
>>
>>   Results:
>>     a) Black screen - nothing appears, nothing is running
>>     b) Reboot with rescue CD; chroot /mnt/sysimage
>>         i) cd /boot
>>        ii) All files are there: kernel, initd, grub directory
>>       iii) cd grub
>>        iv) Only one file appears: splash.xpm.gz
>>         v) Rebuild grub:
>>            1) cd ..; mv grub g1; grub-install /dev/hda3
>>            2) Examine/Rebuild grub:
>>               x) grub directory created and all stage
>>                  files are built, but missing are:
>>                    grub.conf & splash.xpm.gz
>>               y) cp /boot/g1/splash* /boot/grub
>>                  vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>                  *** Add correct entries w/ hd0,2 as primary target
>>                  Save file (:wq!)
>>        vi) Grub is rebuilt manually, remove rescue CD & reboot
>>       vii) Multi-booted Fedora, splash appears, initrd runs BUT
>>            1) Unable to open /etc/fstab
>>            2) Unable to create swap: Unable to open: /etc/fstab
>>            3) Since X11 cannot start, Anaconda based setup appears
>>               requesting setup for Authentication and a MANY other
>>               setup defaults.
>>            ABORT (Control-Alt-Del)
>>

>>   Ah... so it seems that FC5 release results in a very good
>>   release but it is not doing well for me :-(
>>
>>   What can I do with the problem with /etc/fstab?  Is this
>>   a SELinux issue  or what?
>>
>>   Please advise,
>>   Dan
>>

> Sorry to reply to my own post, but I needed to add a little tidbit
> to the above reported information.
>
> + I have successfully installed FC5 onto my system and I now
>   understand what it was that caused me grief.
>
> ***  Do not use the 'Configure Now' radio button and install everything
>      in the list, but choose instead 'Configure later'.  I installed
>      everything except language in my case but and attempting to
>      complete the installation resulted in an abrupt reboot somewhere
>      during the CD #4 disc. I did not realize this until I installed
> [...]
I don't believe it's a matter of anaconda not understanding it; It knows
where the boot partition will be, that's where the grub.conf file it is
configuring is going to be, and it is instead asking where the /
partition that it should boot from there will be. Also, the "Other"
entry is there for you to tell it to boot Windows. (Select whichever
Windows installation has the bootloader, probably whichever you
installed first)
-Dan