NM Alternative: Software Bridge?

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 02:51:27 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, David Cary Hart <Fedora at tqmcube.com> wrote:

> At the risk of emulating MS, I have been toying with this using a
> vanilla kernel. Essentially, this combines the two devices
> (wifi and ethernet) together into a single bridged connection.
>
> There is still a bit of latency to fiddle with but, logically, this
> seems to make more sense than NM. Presumably, this has a much smaller
> footprint. I re-compiled Knemo on an older system and the bridged
> device can be displayed just like any other connection.
>
> There's no switch-over involved; The bridge uses whatever is
> available - ethernet, wifi or both.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Our DNSRBL -
>           Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com
>          Multi-RBL Check: http://www.TQMcube.com/rblcheck.php
>            Zombie Graphs: http://www.TQMcube.com/zombies.php
>
> --

Hi David!

I think it would be worth considering to include the functionality of Knemo
into NM.  Both are in development. Knemo is a KDED surface built of course
for KDE and uses ifconfig and iwconfig.  What I am thinking of is a
"surface" of this functionality (maybe with a few selectable extras) that
will auto sense KDE/Gnome and be an option when NM is first run.

On we go!

Tod