Deleting a directory

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 28 09:35:40 UTC 2006

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 27Mar2006 11:55, Danny Ciarniello <Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net> wrote:
> | rm -rf <directoryname>
> |
> | -r : recurse
> | -f : force
> |
> | Be careful!
>
> You know that "-f" and "be careful" are opposing actions?
> Skip the -f and proceed. Oh, and unalias "rm"; RH systems ship
> with an alias to always supply a -i option to "rm", and that
> in turn promotes this dangerous overuse of the -f option.

And for those people that don't use "-f", it promotes a tendency to just
amswer "y" when prompted if they really want to delete a file, without
actually looking carefully at the question being asked. Hence I'm in the
habit of turning off the "rm -i" alias wherever I see it, as it's often
counterproductive.

Paul.