A question about NetworkManager

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Mar 28 13:10:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> 2) if you launch NetworkMananger, i just don't do service NetworkManager
> start, i also do service NetworkManangerDispatcher start (found on the
> fedoraproject-wiki). I still did not find out properly what the Dispatcher
> is for.

NetworkManager doesn't start the network until the user logs in.  So if
you have services that need a network to start (such as NTP), they will
fail if started at boot.  The dispatcher allows you to control those
services so they start and stop with the network rather than at boot.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu