Further wireless questions.

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:40:09 UTC 2006

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> As I said previously I have been involved in Unix/Linux for a long
> time but only newly become involved in wireless internet.
>
> The recent interchange on the list has been very helpful but I am left
> with a few questions.
>
> 1. We have an access point that does not supply dhcp but connects to
> an internet LAN with dhcp service. I can't to get any of the wireless
> connection programs to recognize the dhcp part of the system. They
> insist that I give the accessing machine a static ip address. Is there
> a fedora utility that can handle this and allow the dhcp access to
> operate through this access point.
>
> 2. Our general access to the Internet at Trinity is to access points on
> out Windows network. That involves designating the use of LEAP
> authentication and logging in with ones username and passwd on the
> Windows system. The ipw2200 card can do that and does that under
> Windows , Can the same thing be done under Linux?
> Is this a place where ndiswrapper would allow me to use the Windows
> driver to do this?

1. Have you tried NetworkManager? (if you're using GNOME) System ->
Administration -> Server Settings -> Services, enable NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher for runlevel 5, and disable network (otherwise
you could have one connecting wirelessly while you connect wired...).

2. I've heard discussions of LEAP, and a quick google brings up this
post on the NetworkManager list:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2006-March/msg00217.html
Quite a bit to read, but it seems like it is possible to implement.
-Dan