FC5 nforce4 sata initrd problems [for geeks??]

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Tue Mar 28 20:01:21 UTC 2006

Wieslaw Kierbedz wrote:

>Hi
>
>For some reasons I'm looking for easy to install and easy configurable
>linux.
>I remember that FC is really user friendly and against some of other
>distros does not destroy hand made configs.
>Installation passed successfully.
>At boot I've got kernel panic.

> Mounting root filesystem.
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> Setting up other filesystems.
> Setting up new root fs
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
> Switching to new root and running init.
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>

>Then:
>Fresh FC5 on /dev/sda3 - reiserfs.
>/dev/sda3            /                       reiserfs defaults        1 1
>bootloader: gentoo's (what the different ;)) lilo in sda mbr.

I had similar problems using reiserfs.  Ultimately, the problem was with
the "mount by label" system.  Check your fstab.  You will probably have
and entry like LABEL=/ rather than /dev/sda3.  I assume (I use grub, not
lilo, so I don't know for sure) that there is a similar entry in the
lilo config.  Use the dvd rescue to change them both from LABEL=/ to
/dev/sda3 and reboot.  That should fix the problem.
Dan.