FC5 nforce4 sata initrd problems [for geeks??]

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Tue Mar 28 21:03:03 UTC 2006

Wieslaw Kierbedz wrote:

>Danny Ciarniello napisał(a):
>

>>Interesting.  Maybe it's due to using lilo rather than grub?
>>
>>Is your /boot on reiser as well?  Since reiser is not compiled into
>>the fedora kernel but is loaded as a module, /boot cannot be on a
>>reiser partition.  If this isn't your configuration, then you should
>>create a small (100MB is more than enough) partition formatted as ext3
>>for the boot partition.  Everything else can be reiser.
>>Dan.
>>

>It would be bizarre.
>lilo mbr is installed with gentoo (/dev/sda1) at /dev/sda mbr - gentoo

Sorry, my comment about lilo vs grub was referring to the presence (or
lack thereof) of LABEL=/ in fstab, not to the kernel panic problem.

>starts, PLD (on /dev/sda3) started untill I replaced it with FC, even
>WinXP32 on /dev/hda1 makes no troubles.
>Both - kernel and initrd files are at reiser "/' fedora partition - yes
>fedoras /boot is directory of "/".
>But during startup initrd is loaded properly - all modules are inserted
>too (messages are from fedora initrd).
>How could be it possible to load initrd without kernel?
>
>Conclusion: initrd can not mount resiser "/"?
>Does it means - "/" can not be reiser?
>It would be bizarre.

Actually, / can be root; it's just /boot that shouldn't be.  I don't
know all the details about how grub or lilo start an OS.  I just
remember that when I first started using reiser with fedora that the
advice was to put /boot on a separate ext3 (or ext2) partition.  So I
have three partitions on my harddrive (which is also SATA).  A 100MB
ext3 partition for /boot, a 15GB partition for / and a 58GB partition
for /home.  Other than the label problem, this worked fine.

Dan.